So different than what I thought. Original, very original

In The Absence of YouIn The Absence of You by Sunniva Dee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

He is a broken rock star, whose girlfriend has left him shattered in pieces.
She is the merch girl, who talks about a strange gypsy plague. About a love so intense it kills.
This is a story of unrequited love, unreciprocated love, toxic love. But this is not a love story. Not itself. Not as you think.

"As long as I don't run into my soul mate, I'll be fine. If I do though, I know for a fact that it is checkmate"

This is a shocking book. A risky modern 'tragedy' about a girl who falls in love with a guy who loves another woman.
Emil is hurting because his ex left him. He doesn't want to continue without Zoe. And Aishe is there. She is just that. The girl in his tour bus. The beautiful gypsy ready to make him forget.

"Who the fuck knew girls could create holes in a guy's chest? It's like a crater in there, a fucking big, empty crater".

Their relationship is sick. Toxic. Unhealthy. Aishe's behavior is a shame for the women kind. Gypsy plague or not.
I thought even to drop the book a few times because my thoughts were something like: "Come on Aishe! Really? Again? Where is your pride? Are you stupid? Leave him alone! Why you can't see he is in love with another girl? he doesn't love you!"

But nope, I'm a masochist and I didn't give up. The plot and the writing kept me reading because it had something addictive. Even when Aishe is making you cringe with her behavior, you like her. I don't know how the author makes that possible but, yeah, even when you are hating her, you like her. At least, you do at first, because there is a moment in the story that she is just a sick, obsessive, manipulative person and I really didn't see that coming. But at that point I didn't know what to think any more.

The "funny"thing is ( and the quotation is necessary because there is nothing funny about it) I didn't hate Emil as much as I hate our heroine. I can understand heartbreak and he is beyond broken. He was completely honest with Aishe about his impossibility of feeling something for someone else. His behavior is right toward our heroine? Hell no, it's not, he is awful. Awful but straightforward. So I felt more sympathetic with him that with Aishe's pitiful and annoying attitude.

"I hate how I feel. What does money, success and adoration mean when you lose the simplest, most important thing that makes you breathe?"

I gave this original book 3 stars even if this kind of drama is not my thing. I think it is different, shocking, the writing is appealing, the story is very well done and the author risks a lot achieving something great and difficult: keep me reading even if it was not my kind book at all.

**This book was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review**

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended Sport Romance that beats its predecessor in entertainment.

A must if you are a YA fan. Christina Lauren´s first MM novel was a winner!

Jay Northcote enters the shifters territory in a sweet metaphoric journey!