Labels

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Coming In by Michelle Ogilvy: My Review

BLURB:

Jay and Adam have been sharing a flat, and a bed, since they moved down to Adelaide after high school a couple of years ago. Neither man considers himself gay or mentions the sexual nature of their friendship to anyone else.

Their arrangement doesn’t stop Jay from casually dating random women he meets through work and both men seem happy with the way things are. That is, until Adam meets April, a damsel in distress that latches herself onto Adam in a way that he doesn’t mind at all. Jay sure does, though.

As Adam gets closer to April, the friendship between the two men starts to unravel and for the first time in years, Jay is facing a life without Adam. If he wants to save their friendship, he will have to offer Adam a lot more than a spot in his bed. There’s only one problem, Jay doesn’t believe in love.


MY REVIEW:



Coming InComing In by Michelle Ogilvy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Coming in by Michelle Ogilvy is a book about two friends trying to figure out who they are.

This is the story of Jason Porter and Adam Pearson. Best friends since childhood, actual flat mates and regular fuck buddies. But this "lovers status" is something that the world doesn't know. Out of the semi-bubble, they have built around them, they are just friends.
But it's not like the sex thing is Jay's and Adam's little dirty secret. Nope. They are not really conscious of the significance of their non-discussed relationship. Or the magnitude of it. They have been together like that for years and we are not talking just about sex. They sleep together every night, with cuddling and everything. But they don't label their sexuality or relationship.

The thing is, Jay dates random women constantly and it "seems" both of them are ok with this agreement, at least until the harpy among all harpies comes into their lives.
Her name is April and I hated her so much that I don't want even to talk about her. She is Adam's obnoxious girlfriend. A total bitch.
I know some of MM romances has one of those, but this insufferable girl is a bit over the top.I HATED HER! And sadly, I hate Adam every time she is in the picture with him because everything seems fake, and she is evil incarnated and the main source of the angst here. Nope, nope not talking about this girl or the stupidity of my (usually) smart and sweet Adam.

For those who don't tolerate infidelity in their readings I have a Warning: There is cheating in this book. Not on page, and not between our main characters, but the fact is that they can't avoid to be together, and they have been doing it for years, even though they were in a relationship or not.

"Whatever had been between the two of them over the last few years, it wasn't healthy"

It is difficult for me to review "Coming in" in a few sentences because I perceive two completely different parts in the book, and I feel the need to explain it:

The first half was ok. The conversations are simple, not deep at all. The sex is off page and there is no explanation about how and why Jay and Adam get where they are. Too many things are took for granted.
I was a bit out in this first 50%(the percentage is nearly literal). It bothered me not knowing them. I was enjoying it, but I needed to feel them, together and separately, and the story wasn't deep enough either. Angsty? Yeah. Uncomfortable? Very. But not deep. The characters were not giving me what I was wanting and needing.
They didn't talk about their sexuality, about their attraction. They just seemed to need each other, and even though I liked the concept of that dependence I needed to know why, how, when...Come on guys! Talk to each other! Talk to me! Argh...

And then:


Everything changes. The plot starts taking shape and the characters start to feel and to talk about these feelings.

"I'm not gay" Adam replied.
"No, you're just a hypocritical son of a bitch"


In this second half we get to know Jay and Adam deeply and, as the author deepens in them, and in their friendship, I start loving both characters (though I must say Jay was my favorite. He is a cynical jerk but I love him).

Here, at last, they show their fears and insecurities, and both have a lot of them, because they are young and a little lost.
It seems that Adam and Jay have never stopped to analyze their relationship, until hateful April comes. And when they do, we could say everything changes between our guys and their bubble blows up.
They seem lost and miserable outside this bubble and without each other, and they need to be clear, to be honest, to say what they really feel.

"It wasn't like Adam doesn't know the goodbye was coming. But it supposed to be him leaving, not Jay. And he hadn't realized it would hurt this much"

So, I would say this is a great friends to lovers story, I really enjoyed it. No doubt I will read the author again.

****An advanced reading copy of this book was generously provided to me via Indigo Marketing & Design****

This review will be posted on: Reviews for Book Lovers

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment