World building to die for in this first Installement of The Dark Series

BLURB:

As a provocative series of paranormal temptation begins, a vampire king seduces the supernaturally gifted man hunting him. But when the stakes are literally life or death, their struggle for control is no game.

Benjamin Fuller is a hunter, born and bred. Blinded as a child by the vampire who slaughtered his family, he’s blessed with a second sight that allows him to catch and kill his quarry. What his gift can’t help him see coming is his fierce, almost carnal attraction to the mystery man who claims to be a fellow hunter and whose touch triggers both lust and revulsion. When he gains the upper hand, Benjamin vows to bring his enemy to his knees.

After many years spent in exile, the only one who can help restore Tzadkiel Dragoumanos to his rightful place as War King is a blind hunter with golden curls, a lithe dancer’s physique, and distinctive facial scars—scars Tzadkiel gave him two decades ago. The mere scent of Benjamin Fuller provokes an unwelcome rush of insatiable desire. Yet to win an all-out supernatural war, Tzadkiel must resist the ravenous hunger to possess his prey—for now.

MY REVIEW:


Surrender the DarkSurrender the Dark by Tibby Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a great enemies to lovers story. This is a stunning and original Hunters vs. Vampires book. This is a MM romance between a vampire who wants to kill a hunter, and a skilled hunter, breed to execute the vampire race.

The atmosphere Tibby Armstrong has created is completely absorbing and with a Dark-ish tone envolving every page, every street of Boston, that had me fascinated since the very first page.
The world building is extremely attractive and the writing is remarkable.

To build a great and solid world in this genre is not easy. I have read tons of paranormal books. Some of them are good but, sadly, the vast majority not so much because of its lack of originality.
And then,  "Surrender the Dark"comes, mixing Greek mythology, with a different concept of vampires and hunters and drag me in, almost magically, restating my love for a genre that I do not love easily.

And what make Armstrong's Universe original and appealing is a mixture of great things: the plot is consistent. The characters are developed, deep and very likable. The dialogues sharp,  and to the point.
The whole idea of "Surrender the Dark" is terrific, as well as the many little things that put the story together.

I felt very identified with the humor in this book. It is sarcastic and sour, and the author achieve a superb mixture between a dark atmosphere,with evil creatures lurking in the night, and very amusing interactions between the characters. Part of my high rate is because I find the humor in this book magnificent.



I loved Benjamin since the first page. I loved that boy playing in his uncle's yard. And I love the man he becomes. I really liked the way that boy grew up assuming wrong beliefs as unquestionable truths, and how he learned life is not always what it seems (or what your parents told you).

But, probably, I love Tzadkiel even more than Benjamin, and not only because I think the character is sexy as hell. No, there is more. I like the way he talks and the loyalty to his family, to his mora. He is honorable. He is smart. He is powerful, and his power is extremely hot. He is my War King .The undeniable winner for me.

Something I really enjoyed in this unique story is the fact that they don't go from enemies, to lovers all at once. It is more complicated and entertaining than just that. The couple goes from mortal nemesis, to reluctant allies, and in the middle of that process they become lovers. But the hate and the need of vengeance is still there, so the charm and the curiosity about what is going to happen is on the scene till the end.



While I was reading Surrender the Dark, I was thinking that even if our MC are both males (sexy and hot long-haired males) that  fell in love to each other (and you with them) the nuanced plot was more centered in the superb supernatural world the author was giving us, than in the love story itself. Benjamin and Tzadkiel are our guides in this ride, and certainly their relationship is the final reason of the book, but you could say their romance is not the absolute center here. I didn't care because I was completely absorbed in Armstrong's world, but I have to confess I'm a bit dirty and I missed more steam.

This is book one of a trilogy. Taste the Dark and Claim the Dark are expected on December 2017 and May 2018.
There is no doubt I will continue reading this series.

Review posted on: Reviews for Book Lovers
****An advanced reading copy of  this book  was generously provided to me  by the publisher via Netgalley****

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended Sport Romance that beats its predecessor in entertainment.

A must if you are a YA fan. Christina Lauren´s first MM novel was a winner!

Jay Northcote enters the shifters territory in a sweet metaphoric journey!