Labels

Monday, June 26, 2017

Rock by Anyta Sunday: My Review

rockrock by Anyta Sunday
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a frustrating, forbidden, sad and beautiful love story.

" This is the story of how I became a rock "... oh, yes it is...*sighing loudly*

To me, what I've read is so powerful that I'm still hangover while writing this review. I've laugh, cried, and prayed for the book to be endless. I also prayed for the exact opposite, begging for the couple to have their HEA and stop messing with my feelings...

This is a beautiful story that describes us the awakening of an epic love. This is a magnificent book that tells us about the start of a heartfelt and heartbreaking relationship between two men who met being kids, and went through life with their paths tangled, entwined and intimately connected as "brothers", friends and lovers.



I want this to be a total spoiler free review, so I'm gonna ramble and gabble about my thoughts and my perception of this exquisite love story. So you are safe, nothing is gonna be revealed.

Cooper and Jace meet when both of them are teenagers. They find each other in a tough moment in Cooper's life and started bonding and sharing a life.
It's magnificent how you can be a part of it, feel all of it, being there with the weight of the unsaid words, witness the secret and longing glances, and understand the beginning of a camaraderie bigger than anything.

This book is not exactly one of unrequited love but, at the same time it is, since we could say that´s the main reason (along with the prohibit love) for our MCs being apart for such a long time. 
It's angsty for a softie like me who cries every time our hero's heart is ripped off his chest, or even if it's not but he is having a really bad day, he is jealous or simply sad. Yup. That soft. So, did I cry reading Rock? Yes, I did. Did I enjoyed while crying? Hell, yes, like crazy. Would I reread again this magnificent and powerful story? Of course I would, and I would cry too.

Anyta Sunday plays beautifully with the chapter's titles. All of them has a rock name in it, don't letting you forget, not for a second, that you are reading about Cooper's experiences, feelings and states of mind. We have our narrator's sweet POV and the rock names to remind you the significance, the meaning of the stones, that they are related to what we are going to read.
I also loved the way the book is estructured. Different parts named according to the relationship development and also geologically connected to the plot... beautiful.



So you could say Anyta Sunday touches me. Her writing and her characters. The dialogues flows so easily and the feelings go so deep in me, that I felt drowned in the beautiful drama, the magistral narration and the sadness of this unforgettable love story.

I wanted to make a special mention to Lila and David´s (Cooper's dad), because theirs is a love story plagued of sad and painful moments. This secondary mini plot is also heart wrecking because this is a couple who has been in love all their lives, not being together for the most part of it... and once they are, happiness seems to escape them anyway... I can't imagine what it feels like to be incapable to share your life with the person you love (I'm a lucky girl) but it has to be hard, very, very hard.

Anyta Sunday gave me 10 years of love and heartbreak, 10 years of Cooper and Jace's lives full of great conversations, tears and a palpable evolution (we go from a YA lovely novel to a splendid drama with more experienced men). And all of it packed in a magistral narration, sprinkled with a few references I loved such as a Flight of the conchords T-Shirt (it's New Zealand, after all) or Cat Stevens's "first cut is the deepest", song, that drove to another place and another time. Because as I said, I'm a softie, and proud of it!

Highly Recommend!


This review has been posted on Dirty Books Obsession

logoblog






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment